Aconex Announces Winners of Connect Awards for Americas
AECOM and Hensel Phelps Recognized for Outstanding Innovation
SAN FRANCISCO, California, June 29, 2016 – Aconex Limited (ASX: ACX), provider of a leading cloud and mobile collaboration platform for the global construction industry, today announced the winners of its inaugural Connect Awards, recognizing construction industry innovators across vertical sectors in the Americas. The 2016 awards honor 13 organizations for achieving remarkable results by connecting teams and streamlining processes.
“The winners of the Aconex Connect Awards have demonstrated a singular commitment to innovation,” said Chris Dobbyn, senior vice president of the Americas and corporate development. “By transforming the way their project teams work, they’ve realized cost savings, efficiency gains and powerful process improvements. These companies are ahead of the curve in the continued digital evolution of the construction industry.”
Aconex customers were nominated in three categories: the Hero Award, the Project Award and the Enterprise Award. More than 2,800 customer projects in the Americas region were eligible for the awards.
Read more about selected Aconex Connect Award winners on the Aconex website.
Hero Award Winners
The individuals chosen to receive the Aconex Connect Hero Award have one attribute in common ‒ they are masters at managing change. Through innovation and the application of best practices, their teams were able to optimize processes, reduce the risk of disputes and achieve significant cost savings.
AECOM – Roger Gagnier, Vice President
- Turnaround time for contractor submittals reduced by 76% to 16 days
- Speed of document retrieval increased by 200%
- Regulatory requirement for tracking 3,000 items now managed by one person
- Total labor savings over four years – more than US$5 million.
Agent for Change
Vale – Steve Ball, FEL 3 Study Director, Voisey’s Bay Mine Expansion Project
- Identified need for project-wide collaboration system and implemented Aconex
- Effected significant change from historical processes
- Tracked and met contractual review timelines.
Graham Design Builders – Traci Smith, Senior Document Controller
- Spearheaded adoption of Aconex across multiple public-private partnership (P3) projects in Canada
- Created company-wide implementation and use guidelines
- Enabled geographically dispersed teams to seamlessly collaborate across provinces and time zones.
Ledcor Technical Services (LTS) – Melanie Waldhaus, Document Control Manager
- Worked with project teams to achieve 80% reduction in cycle time for change requests
- Reduced time spent searching for project information by 95%
- Saved US$600,000 per year in staff compensation due to increased efficiency of document control team.
Project Award Winners
The Project Award recognizes project teams that have been notably successful in realizing the benefits of collaborating on a single, project-wide platform in innovative ways.
Document Register and Workflow Tracking
Freeport-McMoRan – Indonesian Copper Smelter Project
- Used Aconex to track and manage project’s master document register, verifying status of design document deliverables
- Reduced average response time for project correspondence by more than 50%
- Achieved 63% faster responses to requests for information (RFIs)
- Reduced average time to complete workflows by 27%.
Nalcor Energy – Lower Churchill Project, C$7.65 billion (as of September 2015)
- Accelerated document reviews from average of 30 days to less than 10 days
- Reduced transmittal times from average of two days to approximately one hour, saving labor costs
- Saved additional C$4 million in printing costs by not printing an estimated 22.4 million sheets of paper since 2011.
Hensel Phelps – Benjamin P. Grogan and Jerry L. Dove Federal Building, US$160 million
- Used Aconex to create digital handover manuals that fully complied with U.S. General Service Administration (GSA) guidelines and security protocols
- Reduced time required to import handover information by 30%, saving US$10,000 per month
- Realized further savings of US$132,000 in labor costs that would have been spent in manual compilation of handover materials.
Alternative Delivery - JV
KPH Turcot, un Partenariat, S.E.N.C. (Construction Kiewit Cie, Parsons Canada Ltee and Groupe CRH Canada Inc.) – Turcot Interchange Program, C$1.5 billion
- Achieved project efficiencies from using single project-wide collaboration platform
- Projected to save approximately 40,000 person-hours in document control costs over next five years.
- Communication platform for over 100 subcontractors and suppliers to optimize document reviews with designers.
Metro de Santiago – Proyecto Lineas 6 y 3, US$2.76 billion
- Used Aconex to replace paper-based processes
- Shortened average time for document reviews by 47%, from 17 to 9 days, in first six months
- Reduced printing and related paper costs by 90%.
University of Alaska Fairbanks – Combined Heat and Power Plant Project, US$245 million
- Adopted Aconex as central platform, making all project information trackable and reportable
- Reduced design review cycles by 75% through automated workflow management
- Shortened design review meetings by 30-50%, saving valuable engineering time.
Collahuasi – Ball Mills Stator Replacement Project, US$100 million
- Reduced processing time for payment to contractors from one month to five days or less
- Saved equivalent of 1,920 person days
- Used Aconex Field to reduce daily safety inspections from 2-5 hours to 25-60 minutes across 22 inspectors, saving over US$650,000 annually.
Enterprise Award Winners
The Enterprise Award recognizes enterprises that have taken the lead in standardizing the use of Aconex technology and tools across their projects.
General Contractor – Graham Design Builders
- Used Aconex for several large design-build-finance-maintain (DBFM) P3 projects, optimizing processes across teams and industrial sectors such as health care and transportation
- On one health care project, reduced time to solicit bids by 90%, turnaround time for RFIs by 50%, and time to distribute defects captured on site by more than 80%
- Served more than 500 project team members from approximately 100 organizations on just one project.
Alternative Delivery – Pomerleau
- Used Aconex to meet rigorous monitoring, reporting and compliance requirements of P3s
- Achieved improvement in productivity related to critical project decisions
- Reduced turnaround time for design reviews.
Asset Owner - Metrolinx
- Used Aconex across suite of over 50 transportation infrastructure projects
- Achieved transparency of project communications and automated core processes
- Reduced document processing time by 50%
- Gained instant access to current and past project data.
Aconex Limited provides a leading cloud and mobile collaboration platform for the global construction industry. The platform connects owners, contractors and their project teams in the construction, infrastructure, and energy and resources sectors, providing project-wide visibility and control between the many different organizations collaborating across their projects. With more than 60,000 user organizations and over $1 trillion of project value delivered in more than 70 countries, Aconex is the industry’s most widely adopted and trusted platform. Founded in 2000, Aconex has 47 offices in 23 countries around the world, including headquarters in Melbourne, Australia and San Francisco, California. The company’s ordinary shares are traded on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) under the ticker code ACX and are included in the S&P / ASX 200 Index.