Balfour Beatty Saves Estimated £1.3M in Reduced Errors and Rework on Offshore Wind Farm
Project name: Burbo Bank Extension | Industry: PowerProject size: US$167 million | Location: Bodelwyddan, United Kingdom
Burbo Bank Extension is an onshore substation for an offshore wind farm by the same name. In this project, 8-megawatt (MW) turbines were deployed commercially for the first time. Aconex helped Balfour Beatty and the asset owner satisfied the requirements of government regulators, improve asset valuations and eliminating the need to set aside large cash reserves.
- Rapid staff turnover required new project team members with specialized skill sets to get up to speed quickly.
- All documents in the master document register (MDR) required a unique ID number to be included in a National Grid Reference.
- Managing National Grid Technical Specification (NGTS) compliance and the technical query approval process was demanding.
- Comprehensive safety alerts and documentation requirements were mandated for compliance.
- Central repository for all project information, instantly searchable to speed team members’ onboarding and training.
- Configurable templates and protocols to easily populate documents in the MDR, eliminating data loss and lengthy email searches.
- Availability of NGTS specifications, calculations and documentation on demand to satisfy the requirements of government regulators.
- Ability for the project team to quickly review and approve risk assessments and safety alerts.
- Reduced ramp up time for new specialists by 67%, from 6-8 weeks to 2 weeks.
- Speeded up weekly audit time by 50%, from two days to one over the 20-month project duration.
- Reduced errors and rework through version control for an estimated cost savings of up to £1.3 million, or 1% of project value).
- Accelerated document collation from 3.5 months to 2 weeks for savings of £100,000 annually.