Graham builds two hospitals in one with Aconex
Project name: Graham North Island Hospitals | Industry: Health & EducationProject size: US$488 million | Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
The North Island Hospitals Project (NIHP) is a public-private partnership (PPP) involving the design and construction of a 39,826-square-meter, 153-bed hospital in the Comox Valley and a 32,316-square-meter, 95-bed hospital in Campbell River. The goal is one hospital with two sites, requiring a high degree of coordination between the two facilities, which are located approximately 43 kilometers apart. Beyond providing a clinical environment for acute patient care, the Vancouver Island Health Authority intends to maximize efficiency for hospital staff by integrating systems both within and between the facilities.
- Design-build of two hospitals in one, with high visibility for both public and private stakeholders.
- Project team of more than 500 individuals across 100 different organizations.
- Large numbers of document versions, communication threads and workflow steps.
- High risk and strict compliance requirements for PPP and LEED Gold Certification.
- Project-wide collaboration for document control, correspondence and workflow management.
- Close coordination and tracking of all design and construction information and processes.
- Complete audit trail with a searchable record of all project data – from meeting minutes to drawing submittals.
- Technologically mature and stable platform.
- Reduced tender solicitation cycles by 90% from one day to an hour or less for 32 tender packages and 202 tender invitations.
- Reduced turnaround time for RFIs by 50%, saving administrative head count of approximately C$60,000 per year.
- Used Aconex Field to reduce the time to log and distribute defects by 80-85% per defect, from 15 minutes to two minutes.
- Visibility and reporting to support P3 requirements.