Airport development stays on course with Aconex
Project name: King Shaka International Airport | Industry: Aviation & PortProject size: US$644 million | Location: Durban, South Africa Unveils New Airport
Delivered on time for the 2010 Football World Cup, the King Shaka International Airport is Durban’s primary airport. Turner & Townsend led the Ilembe Consortium, which was responsible for all design, engineering and construction. The project included a 3,700-meter runway and a new 102,000-square-meter passenger terminal with 72 check-in counters, 18 self-service kiosks, 34 aircraft parking bays, and 16 jet bridges. Other key works included a 6,500-space car park, an air cargo terminal and a control tower.
- Many documents and correspondence items exchanged daily between consortium members, subcontractors and vendors.
- Complex project with many components.
- Deadline looming for World Cup – delays unacceptable.
- Tracking project status critical to managing risk.
- Project collaboration between team members on a single, central system.
- Structured, streamlined framework to manage large volume of information.
- Automated workflows for review and approval processes.
- All documents and communications tracked and securely archived.
- Project completed on schedule.
- Improved efficiency and productivity across the project team.
- Timely document review and approval.
- Complete audit trail to avoid information conflicts.