Aconex helps Mandarin Oriental reopen its doors on time
Project name: Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong | Industry: Hospitality & CommunityProject size: US$140 million | Location: Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental International undertook a comprehensive renovation of its flagship property in Hong Kong. Built in 1963 and overlooking Victoria Harbor, the Mandarin Oriental is an iconic institution in Hong Kong, regarded as one of the world’s legendary hotels. The renovation program repositioned the property by upgrading facilities and services, while maintaining its classic, Chinese-influenced design.
- Complete hotel shutdown, with the majority of the work focused on a nine-month period.
- No revenue during the shutdown, but advertising to promote the reopening date – no margin for error in scheduling.
- Large, geographically dispersed project team, including consultants in Singapore, Malaysia and the U.K.
- Delays inherent in using paper documents and couriers; risk of working with outdated drawings.
- Single point of access to project information, regardless of time or location.
- Fast distribution and tracking of documents and correspondence.
- Automated workflows to support accountability across the project team.
- Complete archive of all project information on practical completion.
- 530 project team members from 82 different organizations managed more than 500,000 drawings, documents and communications.
- Dissemination of project information was reduced from 3 or 4 days to seconds.
- Project implementation was fast yet thorough, with training and ease of use driving broad adoption and usage.
- Project was delivered successfully in nine months, and the hotel reopened on schedule.