Aconex helps power construction of transmission line
Project name: Minnkota Power Transmission Project | Industry: PowerProject size: US$350 million | Location: North Dakota
The Center to Grand Forks (CGF) project involves the construction of a 250-mile, high-voltage transmission line through 11 counties from central North Dakota to Grand Forks. The CGF project will meet Minnkota’s obligations as a transmission services provider for grid reliability and address a long-standing need to increase voltage support in the northern Red River Valley region.
- Five-year project is large and complex, with aggressive deadlines.
- Project team members, contractors and consultants had maintained files on different systems and FTP sites.
- Transferring large documents was time-consuming and labor-intensive.
- Ensuring that information was up to date, accurate and available on a timely basis was difficult.
- Improved flow of information for faster decision making.
- Instant access, distribution, tracking, and archiving of project information on one secure, neutral system.
- Real-time, centralized access to all project documentation from anywhere, at any time.
- Automated workflows to ensure review and approval of latest versions of documents.
- Enabled project collaboration between 150 individuals from 10 different organizations.
- Eliminated the cost of a full-time administrator, servers, upgrades, and training for an additional FTP site – estimated to total US$500,000 to $1 million over five years.
- Reduced project administration staffing requirements by focusing two employees on document control to save an estimated 5–10 hours per week for each of 20-25 Minnkota employees.
- Improved reliability for power customers due to faster access to project records for better reconstruction planning, fewer change orders and more efficient use of reconstruction resources.