Aconex powers Lower Churchill Hydroelectric Plant project
Project name: Nalcor Energy Lower Churchill Project | Industry: PowerLocation: Muskrat Falls, Canada
Nalcor Energy is building Phase 1 of the Lower Churchill Project at Muskrat Falls on the lower Churchill River. The project includes an 824-megawatt hydroelectric facility with two dams and a powerhouse, plus nearly 1,500 kilometers of transmission lines and other associated infrastructure. The facility is the second-largest hydroelectric plant in the Newfoundland and Labrador province.
- Remote construction sites, accessible only by plane.
- Project team of more than 3,100 from many different organizations.
- Legacy document management system better suited to archival storage than real-time document control.
- Risk of errors and rework from working with outdated document versions.
- Single, centralized platform for project information exchange between all stakeholders.
- Immediate access to up-to-date documents as well as all prior versions.
- Automated workflows for project-wide collaboration and timely completion of deliverables.
- Comprehensive audit trail for resolution of conflicts and avoidance of disputes.
- C$2 million saved in IT infrastructure costs for software, hardware and operations.
- 112 tons of paper saved through reduction of hard-copy printing.
- Improved turnaround time for 300,000 technical documents from 30 days to an average of 10 days.
- Acceleration of transmittal issuance from two days to an average of one hour and of document uploads from one day to five minutes.