Qatar tracks rail project with Aconex
Project name: Qatar Rail Program | Industry: Road & RailProject size: US$36 billion | Location: Qatar
The Qatar Rail Program, one of the largest infrastructure developments in the Middle East, will create an integrated transportation network consisting of a metro system across Doha, a long-distance passenger and freight system, and a light rail transit system in the Lusail area of Qatar. Established by Emiri decree in 2011, Qatar Rail was given the mandate to design and develop the country’s rail network and, after the rail projects are completed, to manage, operate and maintain them. As an essential part of Qatar’s urban infrastructure, the integrated railway system is recognized as one of the safest and most environmentally friendly transportation networks in the world.
- Review cycles were unacceptably long, and the project team needed to streamline the workflow process.
- Transporting documents to a series of reviewers was challenging, and the project team needed to eliminate paper from the review process.
- Tracking progress and measuring results on projects as large as Qatar Rail is essential. The team needed to generate reports quickly and efficiently.
- Mail response time was as high as 30 days, and the project schedule was not sustainable at that level.
- Configured workflows implemented for document review cycles.
- Drawings and documents easily transmitted electronically and fully trackable, with no file size or format constraints.
- Easily generated weekly reports, including the status of requests for information (RFIs) and design reviews.
- Central platform for trackable communications.
- Review cycles became much faster with automated workflows, with even complex reviews being completed in less than 10 days.
- Overdue reviews were reduced from 18% to 9% or less.
- Cross-organizational collaboration improved, reducing response time by 80%, from 30 days to five days.
- The move away from hard copy reviews greatly decreased paper, printing and handling costs.