Reef Island project under control with Aconex
Project name: Reef Island | Industry: Residential & CommercialProject size: US$1.2 billion | Location: Manama, Bahrain
Reef Island is a commercial and residential development situated on a 579,000-square-meter, man-made island off Manama in Bahrain. The development included the construction of 39 residential buildings, a 300-room five-star hotel, 39 beach villas, a tower, restaurants, shopping arcades, a yacht club, an aquarium, and an exhibition center. Infrastructure works – including roads, electricity, water, sewage, and telecommunications – were also included in the project. The global consultancy firm Davis Langdon & Seah International managed the project.
- Scalability to millions of documents and correspondence items.
- Requirement for secure document storage and exchange throughout the project lifecycle.
- Large, dispersed project team with specialist consultants in Bahrain, the U.A.E., Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, Spain, and the U.K.
- Limitations of commercial email for tracking and securing communications.
- Real-time collaboration across the project team, regardless of location.
- Registration of drawings, documents, cost plans, and other files.
- Tracking of all project correspondence.
- 24/7 access to project information and processes.
- Project team processed 6,300 transactions and transmitted 3,000 documents to 14 organizations a month at the peak.
- Document management accounted for significant time and cost savings.
- Version control tracked every document change – what, who, when – plus review and approval status.
- Cost of Aconex was minimal relative to the size of the project.