Manchester Upgrades Public Transport Network with Project Controls
Project name: TfGM Public Transport Network | Industry: Road & RailProject size: US$450 million | Location: Greater Manchester, UK
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) delivered a three-year Transport Capital Programme consisting of major construction and civil engineering projects located throughout the Greater Manchester area. The program was part of the UK government’s long-term commitment to upgrade the public transport network, increasing economic growth and regenerating areas by providing improved access to work, leisure and education.
- The New Engineering Contract (NEC3) was used to define project management principles, procurement processes and legal relationships.
- NEC3 required significant levels of contract administration by all project team members.
- As a result, the volume of project-related emails increased.
- Individual compliance with the specified terms, conditions and timescales decreased.
- Open collaboration across the project team within the NEC3 framework.
- Enhancement of the team’s knowledge of NEC3 through accredited, official content including glossaries and workflow diagrams.
- Comprehensive platform training for all principle users and their main delivery partners.
- Mapping of workflows, early warnings and technical query exchanges between team members.
- Reduction in contract administration time, number of site meetings required, and document distribution cycles.
- Platform usage by more than 240 users across 25 different companies, with over 16,500 total logins.
- Administration of more than 17,850 inter-company contract exchanges across 14 projects in full NEC3 compliance.
- Efficient governance of all NEC3 processes, with accuracy, quality and administrative cost savings.
*Conject, which delivered this project, was acquired by Aconex in April 2016.