UAF turns up the heat with Aconex
Project name: University of Alaska Fairbanks | Industry: Health & EducationProject size: US$245 million | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
The university’s day-to-day activities are dependent on the 50-year-old Atkinson Heat and Power Plant. The discovery of cracks in its existing boilers posed the risk of failure and the resulting requirement to upgrade the power plant. The upgrade was twice as large as any capital project ever undertaken by the university. The new plant includes a new 240,000 lb/hr boiler that generates up to 17 megawatts of power and an extraction steam turbine that provides enough steam to heat 3 million square feet of academic buildings, research facilities and housing.
- Reliance on FTP sites and stand-alone systems for handling submittals and documenting RFIs.
- High volume of documents with the potential to overwhelm existing solutions.
- Risk of inadequate document control delaying processes and impacting the project schedule and budget.
- Laborious and time-consuming use of spreadsheets for design reviews.
- Neutral, cloud-based platform providing security and control to all project stakeholders.
- Ready access to project files of all types and sizes, including multidimensional models, regardless of geographic location.
- Online viewer for reviews of drawings and mark-ups; structured communications for processing complex RFIs.
- Drag-and-drop workflows to keep processes moving through every phase of the project.
- Rapid learning curve for project team members who had never used a collaboration platform previously.
- Visibility of where documents are in the review process, with reminders of due dates.
- Fast, easy searches for project documents and correspondence, using metadata and web search key words.
- Unlimited usage, data and support to scale with the project.